Secrets? Guys have secrets?
Well, WebMD has gathered 18 (only eighteen?) relationship secrets from psychologists who study gender roles. These are secrets that we guys wish our lady knew about us. See what you think.
Ladies – did you know these? Is this new information?
1. It may be easier for your man to talk about feelings indirectly. Ask what he’d do during a romantic weekend. Or what he thought the first time he met you. His answers will reveal how he feels and bring you closer.
2. Some men prefer to express their feelings through actions rather than words. Your guy may say “I love you” by fixing things around the house, tidying up the yard, or even taking out the trash — anything that makes your world a better place.
3. Men have a reputation for being afraid to commit. But the evidence suggests men take marriage seriously. They may take longer to commit because they want to make sure they are onboard for good. In a survey of currently married men, 90% say they would marry the same woman again.
4. When you’re listening to someone talk, you probably pipe in with a “yes” or “I see” every now and then. It’s your way of saying, “I’m listening.” But some guys don’t do this. Just because a man isn’t saying anything doesn’t mean he’s not listening. He may prefer to listen quietly and think about what you’re saying.
5. Men strengthen their relationships primarily through shared activities more than by sharing thoughts or feelings. For many men, activities like sports and sex make them feel closer to their partner.
6. While shared activities are important, men also need time for themselves. Whether your guy enjoys golf, gardening, or working out at the gym, encourage him to pursue his hobbies, while you make time for your own. When both partners have space to nurture their individuality, they have more to give to each other.
7. If you want to know how a man will act in a relationship, get to know his dad. Some say men learn about their relationship role by watching and listening to their fathers. How they are with each other and how the father relates to the mother can predict how a man will relate to his wife.
8. Women tend to remember negative experiences longer and may have lingering feelings of stress, anxiety, or sadness. In contrast, men are less likely to dwell on unpleasant events and tend to move on more quickly. So while you may still want to talk about last night’s argument, your guy may have already forgotten about it.
9. Men are more likely to miss subtle signals like tone of voice or facial expressions. And they are especially likely to miss sadness on a woman’s face. If you want to make sure your guy gets the message, be direct.
We’ll tackle the other 9 next time. Maybe there is one you should share with your sweetie?
Our secrets are out…