It’s so easy to think our primary adversary is our wife. The Bible says it’s someone else. Someone who hates you and hates your marriage. Someone who wants to destroy you, your wife, your kids, your marriage – and your life – if we let him. Don’t fall for it guys! Don’t avoid fighting your real enemy. We have all the power over him we need, but we have to use it.
1. The “Big Lie” – from the “father of lies” comes the notion that there really is no spiritual evil to contend with. We are told there is no war, no battle, no need to fight this unseen “enemy”.
2. The “Big Three” – Satan’s primary tactics in his relentless assault on believers are 1) lies, 2) deception, and 3) accusation. His schemes depend on people listening to, and believing his voice.
3. What Jesus did on our behalf – According to God’s Word, Jesus death and resurrection not only defeated and set us free from the power of Satan over our lives, they also disarmed him and all of his forces. Satan’s primary weapon is his “mouth”.
See Ephesians 1:19-23, and Colossians 2:15
4. Jesus also gave us authority over those same forces of darkness – in His name. This authority is useless until we believe we have it, and begin to use it.
See Luke 10:17-20 and 2 Corinthians 10:3-5
5. We live in a world at war. We are urged in Scripture to “put on the whole armor of God”, and told the “weapons of our warfare are powerful”. We must walk in the Truth in order to be victorious.
6. Freedom is also our inheritance in Christ. Like salvation, we must believe it, receive it, and walk in it.
See John 8:32 & 36, Romans 8:2, and Galatians 5:1
James 4:7 – Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Don’t fight alone. If you are getting hammered – call a buddy, ask for prayer. We’re all here to help.