Every day I am amazed that the Creator of the universe, the Creator of everything, the everlasting Father, the Almighty I Am – not only allows me the privilege to engage Him in conversation, but actually desires to meet with me and commune with me. Me, yes me – not just Billy Graham, or some internationally-known TV evangelist – but me. Every day, all day long, He seeks my friendship, love and engagement. This still blows me away.
Then, as I am reading along in His love letter to me, He shakes me with a bit of truth (I can only handle a bit at a time), and speaks to my stilled soul. Like this morning:
1 John 3:21-24: Dear friends, if our conscience doesn’t condemn us, we have confidence before God and can receive whatever we ask from Him because we keep His commands and do what is pleasing in His sight. Now this is His command: that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another as He commanded us. The one who keeps His commands remains in Him, and He in him.
Because I am a husband of nearly 39 years and am passionate about marriage and marriage ministry – He seems to rifle my attention to how His words apply to His design/heart for marriage. Thoughts like:
- Are there any thoughts regarding my relationship with my wife that condemn me today?
- Am I keeping His commands regarding marriage, and thus doing what is pleasing in His sight in my relationship?
- Am I truly loving (verb) my wife as He has commanded?
Here are but a few of His commands directed at me (and you) as a husband:
- Do not deprive my wife of my body (sexually and also physically) 1 Cor.7:2-5
- My #1 earthly priority every day should be to please my wife. 1 Cor. 7:33
- I should love my wife “as” Christ loved His bride, and “gave Himself up for her” Eph.5:25
- I should love (agape) my wife unconditionally, and never “be harsh” with her (words, tone, actions, etc.) Col. 3:19
- I should be considerate towards her and treat her with the utmost respect/care if I want Him to answer my prayers. 1 Peter 3:7-12
Even though there are more – I think this will be enough to keep me busy for a while. How are you doing with these?
How would she say you are doing with these?
How would God (her Father) say you’re doing with these?